Friday, August 15, 2014

Painting the Lawrence Cabin



A few weeks back some of us PPAP hit a new spot to painting in Havertown at the Lawrence Cabin  , which is very similar to the Swedish Cabin that the group has painted at several times, and is located about equal distances from my home.

 Once again Alina found another great painting spot for the group that we could easily visit multiple time to paint. We were joined by a new painting friend Cynthia Taylor Mould who I met through the En Plein Air Facebook group. It turns out we live pretty close and have even painted similar spots like the Swedish Cabin, and along Darby Creek.


                                             The spot I decided to painting and my easel

We all met up at the new spot and Alina and I spent some time exploring the cabin and the grounds looking for painting spots. Alina decided to paint up by the cabin as did Cynthia, but I decided to paint down off the grounds looking down on the stream below.

                                         Cynthia with her lovely painting of the actual cabin

By the time we started it was close to solar noon and I was aware that soon the light would change as the sun crossed over into afternoon and the shadows would reverse. I really liked the high vantage point looking down onto the stream with the wash and rocks below with a foreground element of the tress in the foreground.

 I set up my basic palette and went to work. I even attempted to film my process but I ended up stopping after a spell as I think I need a better rig or maybe a camera person to aid in the process.
The afternoon rushed past quick and eventually the sun
 changed enough that I had to stop work and call it a day.

                           Alina painting near the cabin and her two sweet little paintings she did.




                                                             Cobbs Creek 12 x 16 Oil


But I did shoot a video of my painting process and posted it in two parts of youtube

Part one Here   and  part two Here

I hope weather cooperating I can get back over to the same area this week to try some more painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment